A good grasp of how the I’m a Celebrity show is structured should help you make more informed predictions and wagers. Here’s what you need to know.
Every year since 2002, London Weekend Television together with ITV has brought between 8 to 13 celebrities to participate in the show. These celebrities together form what is referred to as the ‘camp’ in the jungle. The goal for each campmate is to survive the extreme living conditions and make it to the final episode while winning the hearts of viewers.
Though no cash prize is won by the King or Queen of the Jungle, the celebrities are compensated financially for possible earnings lost while participating in the show.
The Filming Locations
The pilot season of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here was filmed on King Ranch in Queensland, Australia. After its instant hit amongst viewers, in 2003 the show relocated to a much bigger filming site around Springbrook National Park, in New South Wales, Australia. This was the home of I'm a Celebrity all through until 2019 when the coronavirus hit and location changes had to be made due to border lockdowns and travel restrictions.
In 2020 and 2021 the survival show was filmed at Gwrych Castle in Abergele, North Wales, Australia. ITV partnered with the Gwrych Castle Preservation Trust to help support the ongoing restoration of the castle in order to use it for filming the show. The two years saw celebrities crowned the King or Queen of the Castle instead.
2022 marks not only the premiere of season 22 of I'm a Celebrity but also the return of the show to its filming home in Springbrook National Park.
Earlier this year in April 2022, ITV made the announcement that viewers would enjoy a special All-Stars series of the show which will be aired in 2023 but pre-recorded in South Africa in 2022.
The Jungle Challenges
The only way to survive on I’m a Celebrity is to undertake challenges on the show to secure extra food and luxuries to make the stay in the jungle more bearable for all campmates. Participating and winning in the challenges is what gives each contestant a chance to not be voted out by viewers. The challenges are presented in two formats:
- Bushtucker Trials
A Bushtucker Trial can either be an eating contest or a physical/mental challenge.
For the eating contests, the celebrities are challenged to eat various "jungle" foods — each dish eaten successfully, is equivalent to a star. These stars are then redeemed for a good meal for the cast. Some of the “jungle” foods we have seen celebrities eat include beach worms, green ants, cooked pigs' brains, mealworms, bull's tongues, witchetty grub, blended rats, roasted spiders, raw fish eyes, etc.
For the physical/mental challenges, the celebrities are tasked to perform certain strenuous activities to gain stars. These activities range from going through dark tunnels, searching through dung, surmounting obstacles on high wires and so much more.
- Dingo Dollar Challenges
A Dingo Dollar Challenge is where at least two celebrities go into the jungle together to perform a task that will release an item to open a container with a specified amount of dingo dollars. Once the task is completed and the required dingo dollars accumulated, the container is taken to the shopkeeper at the small wooden shack, who redeems it for treats.
The Voting Process
Viewers are made part of the show through voting. Viewers vote for the celebrities they want to participate in Bushtucker Trials and the celebrity they would like to win the show towards the season finale.
Because the voting on I’m a Celebrity via text, phone or interactive services is charged, the voting process generates enough money for the producers of the show to donate to a charity of choice by the celebrity who will be crowned King or Queen of the Jungle.
I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here Hall of Fame
Curious about who has won in the previous seasons of I'm a Celebrity? Here’s a list to put you in the know.
- 2022 - Jill Scott | Former professional footballer who played as a midfielder.
- 2021 - Danny Miller | Actor famous for his role on the Emmerdale TV soap.
- 2020 - Giovanna Fletcher | Author, actress, and famous presenter The Baby Club.
- 2019 - Jacqueline Jossa | TV presenter and actress best known for her role as Lauren Branning in EastEnders show on BBC One
- 2018 - Harry Redknapp | Former football manager and player.
- 2017 - Georgia 'Toff' Toffolo | TV personality famous for starring in the reality TV series “Made in Chelsea”.
- 2016 - Scarlett Moffatt | Former ballroom dancer and TV personality famous for her appearance on the show Gogglebox.
- 2015 - Vicky Pattison | Author and TV personality best known for her appearances on MTV’s Geordie Shore and Ex on the Beach.
- 2014 - Carl ‘Foggy’ Fogarty | Former motorcycle racer who is one of the most successful world superbike racers of all time.
- 2013 - Kian Egan | Songwriter, musician, and member of pop group Westlife.
- 2012 - Charlie Brooks | Actress, most famous for portraying Janine Butcher in the soap opera EastEnders on BBC One.
- 2011 - Dougie Poynter | Songwriter, musician, and bassist of the pop rock band McFly.
- 2010 - Stacey Solomon | TV personality and singer who rose to fame after finishing third on The X Factor, 2009.
- 2009 - Gino D’Acampo | Italian celebrity chef, cookbook author, and media personality residing in the UK, famous for his food-focused television shows.
- 2008 - Joe Swash | Tv presenter and actor famous for his role as Mickey Miller in the EastEnders show on BBC One
- 2007 - Christopher Biggins | Longtime actor and Tv presenter
- 2006 - Matt Willis | Tv personality and musician popularly known as a member of the pop rock band, Busted who is a co-founder, co-vocalist and bassist.
- 2005 - Carol Thatcher | Journalist, media personality, and author.
- 2004 - Winter season, Joe Pasquale | Comedian, TV presenter, and actor.
- 2004 - Spring season, Kerry Katona | Media personality and singer, brought to fame as a member of the popular girl group Atomic Kitten. She was the first ever Queen of the Jungle.
- 2003 - Phil Tufnell | Tv and radio personality who is a former English international cricketer.
- 2002 - Tony Blackburn | Tv presenter, singer, Dj and the first ever I'm a Celebrity champion.